This section provides guidance to faculty and staff on effort reporting for the University of Michigan, including applicable policies and procedures, educational information, and contacts for questions. Appropriately certified effort is an important compliance element of the university's research enterprise, which provides auditable documentation to demonstrate that the sponsor did in fact receive the level of effort committed through the award process.
Employee Obligations Related to Effort Reporting
The university's policy on effort certification is found in the Standard Practice Guide Section 501.10: Policy on Effort Certification. Employees are required to certify effort if they:
- Perform sponsored activities, or
- Are compensated by cost sharing related to sponsored activities, or
- Are a Medical School faculty member who holds a MD.
Each employee required to certify effort does so annually via the effort certification process in Wolverine Access. By signing, the employee certifies that "the effort percentages shown (in the effort certification report) are reasonable in relation to work performed for the time period stated."
Additional information on the effort reporting process, including guidelines, timelines, and procedures is available as follows:
- Underlying Principles and Definitions in Effort Reporting
- Certification Timeline
- Effort Certification Process for Terminating Employees
- Effort Certification Roles and Responsibilities
- Effort Reporting Changes
- Effort Reporting Methods and Expectations
- Effort Reporting Procedures - Alternate Signer Process
- Effort Reporting Procedures - Annual Effort Certification Process
- Effort Reporting Procedures - As Needed Effort Certification Process
- Effort Reporting Procedures - Effort Certification Status Report
- Effort Reporting Procedures - End of Term Process
- Effort Reporting Procedures - Non-Instructional Sponsored Pool Effort Certification Process
- Effort Reporting Procedures - Periodic Review of Effort Distribution
- Effort Reporting Procedures - Temporary Employee Effort Certification Process