Medical Professional Liability

Medical Professional Liability

What is insured?

We are insured for defense costs and payment of claims for all amounts the university is legally obligated to pay as a result of injury or damage arising out of the treatment of patients. Insurance coverage extends to employees, students, volunteers and others while acting within the scope of their duties for the university.

What do I do if I have a claim?

  • Physicians, nurses and other health care professionals must report incidents to Patient Relations & Clinical Risk for investigation.
    Patient Relations & Clinical Risk
    300 N. Ingalls St.
    Room 8A06
    Ann Arbor, MI 48109-5478
    Phone: 734-763-5456
  • All calls from outside agencies or persons concerning malpractice insurance or incidents should be forwarded to Patient Relations & Clinical Risk for handling.
  • A patient, or member of a patient's family, should be referred to Patient Relations & Clinical Risk if they express a concern regarding their treatment.
  • If a lawsuit is received, it must be immediately submitted to the Office of the General Counsel, which is located at:.
    300 N. Ingalls St., Suite 3B04
    Ann Arbor, MI 48109-5476
    Phone: 734-764-2178
    Fax: 734-647-2781

Is there a deductible?

No deductible is charged for coverage of each occurrence.

Other Information

Certificates of Insurance
Medical Professional Liability (non-university locations) requires prior written approval of the director or department chair.

To obtain evidence of insurance, a written request and a copy of the contract, if applicable, must be sent to Risk Management Services. The information required is:

  • To whom the certificate is to be issued.
  • A description of the activity for which the certificate is needed, including purpose, location and time period.
  • The type of insurance for which proof is required.