Automobile Insurance Coverage

Automobile Insurance Coverage

What is insured?

University Owned Vehicles

Auto Liability
Automobile Liability covers defense costs and payment of claims for all university vehicles and authorized drivers for claims of negligence which result in injury or damage to the property of others.

Personal Injury Protection (PIP)
Personal Injury Protection (PIP) provides for reasonably necessary products, services and accommodations for an injured person’s care, recovery or rehabilitation. Wage loss benefits are coordinated with Workers' Compensation benefits or other wage continuation benefits which may be paid by the university.

Physical Damage
Physical damage (collision or comprehensive) insurance covers damage to university vehicles.

Rental Vehicles

  • Employees are encouraged to take advantage of the Big 10 Purchasing consortium offering discounts through National Car Rental and Enterprise Rent-A-Car.
  • As part of a Big Ten Agreement, auto liability coverage and coverage for damage to the rental vehicle is provided at no extra charge.
  • There is no need to purchase liability and collision coverage from the rental agency when traveling in the United States or Canada.
  • The university’s auto liability coverage is excess of any other valid coverage.
  • More information is available at

Personal Vehicles

  • Individuals using privately-owned vehicles on university business are responsible for obtaining adequate insurance to cover physical damages and their legal responsibility.
  • The cost for personal auto insurance is factored into the university’s mileage reimbursement rate.
  • The university’s automobile liability coverage is excess of the owner’s personal coverage. The university does not carry physical damage (collision/comprehensive) insurance on privately-owned vehicles.

What do I do if I have an accident?

  • Report the accident to the local law enforcement agency or Campus Police.
  • Report the loss to Risk Management Services by completing a Complete a Claim Submission Form:
  • Get the name and policy number of the other party's insurance company.
  • Get the names, addresses, and phone numbers of any witnesses.
  • Immediately complete a Driver's Report of Vehicle Damage and forward it to Parking and Transportation Services or Risk Management Services.
  • We will contact you as soon as possible after receipt of a claim.
  • Send any other available documentation (estimates, pictures, police reports, etc.) to Risk Management Services.
  • Repairs to vehicles may be completed by Parking and Transportation Services. If this is not feasible, two estimates of repair must be provided to the Risk Management Services prior to authorization for repair.

Is there a deductible?

There is no deductible.

Other Information

Certificate (Proof) of Insurance/Registration

  • Certificates of Insurance/Registration can be obtained from Risk Management Services.
  • Vehicle registration is arranged for through Parking and Transportation Services.
  • Copies of these documents should be kept in the glove compartment of each university vehicle.


The use of 12 or 15 passengers vans is not permitted due to safety and liability concerns.