Fellowship/Scholarship Information

Fellowship/Scholarship Information

Fellowships and scholarships have unique taxation rules that depend on the use of the funds. The university, as a withholding agent, is not required to withhold on fellowships or scholarships unless the recipient is a nonresident alien.

A true scholarship will be reported by the University of Michigan on a 
Form 1098-T.

If you are a U.S. citizen or resident alien, you will not receive a form at calendar year-end with reporting information about your fellowship. If you require documentation, you may request a letter from the Payroll Tax Section that states the amount of your fellowship. To receive a letter, please send an email with your name, UMID, and address to khassan.umich.edu.

If you are a nonresident alien, you will receive a Form 1042S at calendar year-end for the amount you received in fellowship or scholarship funds.

There are seminars held during the year to aide students in reporting fellowship funds when filing their tax forms.

To answer some tax questions for Students who receive Scholarship or Fellowship income click here and proceed to the link ‘Presentation for Fellowship/Scholarship.' 


For general information on the reporting of scholarships and fellowships to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) please click the attachment under Resources on the right side of this page.