Treasurer's Office - Debt Management

What types of debt does the university issue?

The university primarily issues fixed and variable rate bonds and commercial paper. The debt may be tax-exempt or taxable.

Treasurer's Office - Debt Management
What is commercial paper?

Commercial paper is an unsecured, short-term debt instrument issued by the university, typically for the interim financing capital projects or gifts and may be issued as taxable or tax-exempt. Maturities on commercial paper typically are up to 90 days and no longer than 270 days.

Treasurer's Office - Debt Management
What are fixed rate bonds?

A fixed rate bond is a bond that pays the same amount of interest for its entire term. The benefit of a fixed-rate bond is that university knows with certainty how much interest will be paid and for how long.

Treasurer's Office - Debt Management
What are variable rate bonds?

A variable rate bond is a bond with an interest rate that is adjusted at specific intervals, i.e. a floating interest rate.

Treasurer's Office - Debt Management
What is tax-exempt debt?

Debt obligations where the interest received by the investor is excluded from federal and state income taxes.

Treasurer's Office - Debt Management
What is taxable debt?

Debt obligations where the interest received by the investor is subject to federal and state taxes.

Treasurer's Office - Debt Management
What type of security does the University offer in its debt issues?

The university presently issues debt backed by a pledge of General Revenues.


Treasurer's Office - Debt Management
What are Hospital Gross Revenues?

Hospital Gross Revenues means all revenues, income, receipts and money received by or on behalf of the Regents with respect to or arising from the operation of the Hospital, including but not limited to (a) gross revenues derived from its operation and possession of the Hospital, (b) proceeds with respect to, arising from or relating to the operations of the Hospital, and derived from (i) insurance (except to the extent such proceeds are required by the terms of the Master Indenture to be used for purposes inconsistent with their use for the payment of Revenue Obligations), (ii) accounts receivable, (iii) disposition of inventory and other tangible and intangible property, (iv) medical or hospital expense reimbursement or insurance programs or agreements, (v) investment earnings or profits on funds held by the Regents for the account or benefit of the Hospital and (vi) contract rights and other rights and assets now or hereafter owned, held or possessed by or on behalf of the Hospital by the Regents, but excluding (1) appropriations received from the State or Michigan, (2) proceeds of borrowing an interest earned thereon if and to the extent such interest is required to be excluded by the terms of the borrowing, (3) gifts, grants, bequests, donations and contributions received by or allocated to the Hospital, (4) cash on hand or investments held by the Regents at any time for the account or benefit of the Hospital and (5) medical service plan or other physician, dentist or similar payments to the extent not treated as Hospital revenues for Hospital accounting purposes.

Treasurer's Office - Debt Management

Treasurer's Office - Depository Supply-Related Questions

How will this new combo bag benefit me?

Using this new bag means that you can deposit:

just cash
just coin (up to $25) 
just checks

or any combination of the 3 in the same bag

You only need to complete one deposit ticket and one online cash receipt ticket (CRT) if allocating funds in the deposit!

You will not need to order or store separate cash & check bags. This bag will handle almost all deposits (please continue to use the CoinLOK bags for coin deposits over $25).

Treasurer's Office - Depository Supply-Related Questions
Does this mean I can now combine cash and checks using my current existing bags (non combo bags)?

Only if you have opaque cash bags and take these bags directly to bank (not a deposit station). Select departments/clinics have been doing so in the past. Once the opaque cash bags are exhausted, the new combo bags will need to be used.

Treasurer's Office - Depository Supply-Related Questions
Are there different size combo bags?

Yes. Combo bags are available in two sizes:

Small (9.5” x 12.5”)


Medium (12” x17”)

Treasurer's Office - Depository Supply-Related Questions
What do I do with my current supply of separate cash and check deposit bags?

You have two options:

1. Recommended - Use the new combo bags and return your old cash & check bags to: Treasurer’s Office, 10090 Wolverine Tower, zip 1283. (Please do not dispose of these bags.)

2. Continue to use the cash and check bags as you have previously until they are exhausted.

Treasurer's Office - Depository Supply-Related Questions
Why are the new combo bags transparent?

A new banking trend is to produce transparent deposit bags. These bags will allow bank processing centers to view the contents and ensure that all funds are removed.  It also ensures that there no non-monetary items included.

Transporting these bags to deposit stations or to the bank should be handled in the same manner, meaning that they should be kept out of view in a purse, backpack, etc., during transit.

Treasurer's Office - Depository Supply-Related Questions

Treasurer's Office - Depository Services

If I have completed the Depository Certification TME101 course, do I need to also complete the Cash Handling TME103 course?

No.  As of 11/28/12, anyone who has completed the Treasury Depository Certification MyLINC TME101 course does NOT also have to complete the MyLINC Cash Handling TME103 course.

Treasurer's Office - Depository Services
What needs to be done with new/terminated staff relating to the deposit processing?

The primary or secondary deposit location contact should have the FINPROD access to update authorized users.


Please see pages 1 & 2 of the link below for further details on how to make changes to authorized users.


The Treasurer's Office no longer requires to be notified of these authorized user changes.


Note: If your department/unit also processes credit cards, these authorized users may also need to be updated in FINPROD. See page 3 & 4 of the above linked document.

Treasurer's Office - Depository Services
How will I benefit from the Treasury depository process?

Units will have quicker access to their financial information and will have better forecasting capabilities through the improved reporting solutions.  Many departments will save money through time savings and by no longer having to pay for depository supplies. 

Converts to the new process will enjoy an online Cash Receipt Ticket interface in Wolverine Access that makes cash receipt preparation more convenient and efficient. This interface is extremely flexible, and automatic journal entries are made based on how a deposit is allocated in the online interface. Please note: the online cash receipt will not work for your unit until you have converted to the new process.

Units that process all of their deposits to a single Chartfield will no longer need to create cash receipt tickets once they have converted to the new process! 

Is your department/unit seeking to become a new Treasury depositing location?

Please send an email for additional information prior to ordering initial depository supplies.

Treasurer's Office - Depository Services
How do I order deposit supplies?

Initial deposit supplies will be provided to each unit once the Treasurer's Office completes the location setup. 

Additional quantities of deposit bags, deposit tickets, endorsement stamps, etc. can be ordered through the Treasury online depository supply order form.  Please allow up to three weeks for delivery.

Treasurer's Office - Depository Services
If I exhaust my supply of deposit tickets, can I just make a photocopy of another one?
Treasurer's Office - Depository Services
Can I still use endorsement stamps and deposit tickets with Bank of America or LaSalle Bank's name on them?

No.  U-M is now using Huntington Bank for U-M's cash/check deposits.  Please contact for new Huntington Bank supplies. 

Shred any old Bank of America or LaSalle Bank deposit tickets. You can send old endorsement stamps to the Treasurer's Office for proper disposal.

Treasurer's Office - Depository Services
What can I deposit?

Appropriate items to deposit:

  • U.S. Cash (currency and coin)
  • checks issued by U.S. banks are acceptable
  • Contact if you have a Canadian check(s) prior to depositing
  • traveler's checks & domestic money orders

Inappropriate items to deposit:

  • severely damaged U.S. cash (i.e., bent coin or less than 75% of a bill)
  • foreign currency & coin
  • checks drawn off of banks other than U.S. banks

Inappropriate items will not be accepted and will not be credited in the deposit.

Treasurer's Office - Depository Services
We had a fund raiser and received a lot of change – how do we deposit it?

If the total coin is less than $25, loose coin can be placed in a plain envelope and included with the cash deposit. 

If the total coin exceeds $25, contact the Treasurer’s Office for heavy duty CoinLok bags.  These bags are able to hold up to 50 lbs of coin.  If the department is unable to transport the bag for deposit, the Treasurer’s Office can make special arrangements for it transportation.

Treasurer's Office - Depository Services
Can we accept foreign checks for payment?

The University of Michigan does not accept checks of any kind issued from foreign banks located outside the U.S. and Canada. This includes payments from students, vendors and other affiliates, regardless of whether payment is issued in U.S. dollars or foreign currencies.

Accepting checks issued from foreign banks (non-U.S./non-Canadian) presents unique challenges in the collection of the funds. Unlike domestic checks that are cleared through the United States Federal Reserve, foreign-issued checks must be presented and cleared through a variety of channels depending on the banking system associated with the country of origin. Impacts of the more complex foreign check clearing process include:

  • Increased cost for clearing which can exceed the amount of small deposits. Some banks will not process foreign checks under $250.00 USD. Each bank that is involved in the chain of clearing a foreign check can add service fees that reduce the amount of the deposit. Costs for clearing foreign checks are charged back to each depositing unit.
  • Foreign checks must be handled through a separate labor intensive process from domestic checks.
  • Delay in clearing (as much as 12 weeks) as check clearing laws vary per country.
  • Foreign exchange risk can be encountered on some currencies.

The University is sensitive to the strategic partnerships held with our vendors and academic affiliates abroad as well as our diverse student population. The Treasurer’s Office is available to assist students, faculty, and staff in making the determination of the most cost effective payment alternative. Suggested payment alternatives include wire transfer through the SWIFT payment network and credit card payments for non-tuition & fee

Anyone requiring assistance with establishing the acceptance of credit card payments or details for receiving wire transfer payments may contact the Treasurer’s Office for further

Treasurer's Office - Depository Services
What if I commit a Cash Receipt Ticket and the deposit amount differs or the allocation is incorrect?

Committed Cash Receipt Tickets cannot be altered.  If the deposit is still in your possession, in most cases, it is suggested to:

  1. Shred the white deposit ticket.
  2. Write "void" on the yellow deposit ticket copy in the book of deposit tickets.
  3. Create a new deposit ticket with the correct amount.
  4. Create a new Cash Receipt Ticket* using the new deposit ticket number. 
  5. Make the deposit. 

* The first Cash Receipt Ticket will never match with the "shredded" deposit ticket and will actually be deleted from the Online CRT system after about 90 days.

The same procedures above can be followed for errors done in a committed CRT, assuming that the deposit is still in your possession.

If the deposit was already sent to the bank and Cash Receipt Ticket committed with a different amount or had incorrect allocations, the deposit ticket amount will post to the department's default Chartfields.  The department will need to process a correcting journal entry.

Treasurer's Office - Depository Services
I forgot to print a copy of the Cash Receipt Ticket - how do I get a copy for my records?

If you have committed the online Cash Receipt Ticket (CRT) and closed your Web browser without printing a copy of the CRT, at this time you will not be able to obtain a CRT copy for your records. 

However if you have query access to FINPROD and you wait until the following business day, you can run a specific query that will provide the same CRT information in a spreadsheet format.  Use this link for FINPROD query instructions.  If you do not have FINPROD access, please contact the Treasurer's Office with the deposit ticket number and date of CRT.

Treasurer's Office - Depository Services
How do I change my location's "default" credit/debit chartfields?

If any default chartfield requires alteration, simply send an email to with your:

  1. department name
  2. 4 digit Treasury-assigned location number
  3. new chartfield information

Please indicate if the change applies to credits and/or debits.  Financial Operations must approved the new chartfields before we can post them in FINPROD.  Changes generally will be processed within a few business days.

Treasurer's Office - Depository Services
What are Deposit Stations and where are they located?

Deposit Stations are ATM-like devices designed to accept university deposits.  Deposit Stations are currently located at the:

  • Michigan Union
  • Michigan League
  • Pierpont Commons
Treasurer's Office - Depository Services
Can I make deposits at the local Huntington Bank branch?

Units can deposit funds at local Huntington Bank branches.  Please be sure to use your assigned deposit tickets from the Treasurer's Office.

Please visit to find a branch near you. 

Treasurer's Office - Depository Services
Our department has a sale once a year where we take in huge sums of cash/checks – do we have to do anything special?

Please contact the Treasurer’s Office in advance for details; they can make alternate deposit arrangements for special circumstances.

Treasurer's Office - Depository Services
I’m having difficulties balancing my Statement of Account deposit activity with my records – who can assist me?

Please contact U-M Shared Services Center - SOA Reconciliation at 734 615-2000 #3 or for assistance.

Treasurer's Office - Depository Services
Other Questions?

Please contact Treasury Services - Amy Cobb, Dave Doyle or Kelley Thomas using the following email:

Treasurer's Office - Depository Services

Treasurer's Office - HSIP

How do I activate unloaded gift cards?

E-mail with the HSIP control number and the package I.D.s you would like to have activated.

Treasurer's Office - HSIP
How do I activate unloaded gift cards?

E-mail with the HSIP control number and the package I.D.s you would like to have activated.

Treasurer's Office - HSIP
How do I deposit and account for unused HSIP cash?

If the PI does not use all the cash requested, the unused portion can be deposited using the cash deposit system:

  • Debit account 111575 with your chartfield combination
  • Send copy of the cash receipt with the Subject Incentive Receipts to the HSIP Office for documentation. The receipt can be sent by campus mail or as a PDF in an email to
Treasurer's Office - HSIP
How do I return and account for unused coupons?

If the PI does not use all the coupons that were requested, the Unit Administrator can cancel the coupons using the following process:

  • Contact the HSIP Office at to have coupons cancelled. Please include the HSIP control number and coupon sequence number or numbers to be cancelled.
  • HSIP Office will cancel the coupons. If this completes a request, the HSIP Office will complete the form to post to the SOA.
Treasurer's Office - HSIP
How do I return and account for unused MasterCard gift cards?

Contact subject-incentives@umich.eduto request an appointment to return MasterCard gift Cards

  • Include package ID numbers and amounts
  • Let HSIP Office know preferred time for return.
Treasurer's Office - HSIP
How do I submit documentation to the HSIP office?

Documentation can be submitted to the HSIP via the following methods:

  • Attach a file directly in the HSIP request
  • Fax the documentation securely to (734) 764-5375
  • Send the documentation through Campus Mail
Treasurer's Office - HSIP
How do I request an extension of the 30 day documentation time line?

To request an extension please contact the HSIP Office at State reason for extension and time needed to complete request.

Treasurer's Office - HSIP
Can I use different incentive types for the same study?

You may use different incentive types for a study if they have been approved by the IRB. Each request will only be for one payment type, but separate requests can have different payment types.

Treasurer's Office - HSIP
What do I do if a subject states they did not receive a check?

If a subject does not receive a check, please contact the HSIP Office. We will help to reissue or cancel a check. DO NOT make a new request before contacting the HSIP Office. If this is done, two checks will be issued to the same person.

Treasurer's Office - HSIP

Treasurer's Office - Mcard

When will I get my Mcard?
Treasurer's Office - Mcard
Expired Mcard - What do I do?

If you have an expired campus Mcard (not from Michigan Medicine) and are still affiliated with the University, take your expired Mcard to an ID Issuing Station for a replacement.  Expired Mcards are required to be turned in for a new valid Mcard.  A replacement fee will be charged if the expired Mcard is not turned in at the time a new Mcard is produced.

Expired UM Temporary Mcards will require a completed Mcard Request & Change Form (Ann Arbor form link).

Certain new replacement Mcards for contractors, visitors, contracted temps, vendors, etc.) will incur a $4 charge.

At the time a new student, faculty, staff Mcard (5 year expiration) is produced, a new photo of the cardholder will be taken per University policy.


Michigan Medicine Expired Mcards

To replace an expired Mcard for a new Michigan Medicine Mcard, the Key & ID office will require your expired Mcard and a Michigan Medicine ID Card Change & Request form completed by your department administration.

Treasurer's Office - Mcard
What can I do with my Mcard?

Your Mcard is a multi-functional card, which provides access to University services and facilities and serves many purposes. On the Ann Arbor campus these include but are not limited to:

Official University Photo ID
Building Access
Library Borrowing Privileges
Computer Log On
Meal Plans
Blue Bucks
Recreation Center Access

Not all University services are available to all cardholders.  Please inquire with the service provider for qualifications and other information.

Treasurer's Office - Mcard
What if my Mcard does not work somewhere?

Depending on what your card will not do will depend on how the problem is corrected.

Below are some of the most common problems, but not all, Ann Arbor cardholders experience along with instructions for a possible resolution. Please note that EXPIRED Mcards could also cause access problems - take expired Mcard to an ID Issuing Station for replacement

All phone numbers are area code (734)

Card will not work anywhere it is swiped AND there are scratches on black stripe - take Mcard to an ID Issuing Station

Card is damaged - take Mcard to an ID Issuing Station

Cannot get into own residence hall  - contact Housing 763 -8250

Cannot get meals at a residence hall  - contact Housing 763 -8250

Cannot spend Blue Bucks funds at readers or merchants - contact Housing 763 -8250

Cannot get into campus academic buildings after hours - contact the specific building access control administrator (usually Facilities Dept)

Cannot get into recreation buildings - contact the Central Campus Rec Bldg 763-3084

Cannot access campus computing sites (ITCS) - email and include your uniqname, the 16-digit ID number on the front of your card, the name of any site where you had problems gaining entry, and the date and time of your last Mcard swipe.


Library bar code unreadable - take Mcard to an ID Issuing Station

Cannot access hospital areas - contact the Key & ID Office 763-6376

Cannot access medical school buildings - e-mail with 16 digit card #, name, and location of access problem

Cannot access North Campus Research Complex areas - contact the NCRC Mcard ID station 734 764-9004

Card will not work as ATM/debit card (must be linked to a PNC Bank account prior to usage) - contact PNC 1 888 PNC-BANK

Treasurer's Office - Mcard
What is the difference between Mcard and Blue Bucks and ATM/debit?

The Mcard is the official University of Michigan ID card.  It not only identifies cardholders affiliated with the University, it also is the device that is used to gain access to many services across campus.  Two separate services accessed with the black magnetic strip (see below) on the reverse of the Mcard are Blue Bucks and Mcard ATM/debit. 


Blue Bucks is an extension to the Housing meal plan.  Money (cash or checks) is deposited into a debit account with the Mcard Center.  Money can also be applied via Blue Bucks Web site and billed to the Student Account.  Cardholders then can spend this money by swiping their Mcards at residence hall copier machines, laundry facilities, cafeterias, snack bars, convenience stores, and vending machines (and some campus vending machines as well).  Blue Bucks can also be used at Wendy's®, Subway® and other restaurants in the Michigan Union, Michigan League, Palmer Commons, Pierpont Commons, and University Hospital cafeteria. Using Blue Bucks through the Mcard almost eliminates the need for cash on campus.

Mcard ATM/Debit Card access is possible when the Mcard is linked to a PNC®Bank account.  If this is done, the Mcard can be used to withdraw money from the bank account ATMs on campus and ATMs worldwide.  The Mcard can also be used to make debit card purchases at hundreds of thousands of debit retailers across the nation.  A 4-digit PIN (Personal Identification Number) is used when making transactions at ATMs and debit merchants. 

The PNC Visa Debit Card is a separate card from the Mcard and is issued by bank when a University student, faculty, staff or other member opens a bank account.  The Visa Debit Card is an ATM/Debit card with a Visa® logo that can be used around the world anywhere Visa® debit cards are accepted, although it is not a credit card.  The purchase amount is directly debited from a bank account.  This card can also be used in any of the hundreds of thousands of ATMs worldwide. 

PNC Bank does not charge annual fees or fees for debit card transactions when using the Mcard or Visa Debit Card.  The operator of a terminal may charge a fee for non-Visa®system transactions.  Visa Debit Cards used in a non-bank ATM may incur a charge from the owner of that ATM and possibly an ATM fee from PNC Bank (HOWEVER cardholders are allowed 2 non-PNC bank fee ATM transactions per account statement period).

Treasurer's Office - Mcard
Does my Mcard really allow me free rides on AAATA city buses?

A University agreement with Ann Arbor Area Transportation Authority (AAATA) allows all current students, faculty, and staff with yellow Mcards to ride any fixed schedule bus route simply by swiping their valid (non-expired) Mcard through a card reader on the fare box on the bus.  Individuals who are not U-M students or employees are not a part of the agreement.

The program is called Mride.  The five-year agreement between the University and AATA will allow free rides any time and any day to destinations throughout Ann Arbor, Ypsilanti, and other surrounding communities.  The agreement does not cover rides to such events as the Ann Arbor Art Fair or home Michigan football games. 

If you have an expired Mcard, a replacement Mcard can be issued for free when the expired card is turned in to an ID Issuing Station.

Treasurer's Office - Mcard
Why are there blue Mcards?

Blue colored Mcards were created to help distinguish members of the University community (not including Michigan Medicine) from faculty, staff, and students.  These cards include:

Blue Mcard image
  • Alumni
  • Conference
  • Contracted Temps (Accountemps, Kelly, Wolverine Staffing, etc.)
  • Contractors
  • Housing Temporary
  • Recreational Sports Sponsored Users
  • Vendors
  • Visitors


Treasurer's Office - Mcard
How do I change my name on my Mcard?

Student/faculty/staff name changes are not processed at an ID Issuing Station.  If a cardholder has a name change due marriage, divorce, legal name change, or it is simply misspelled...

Students - all name changes are first processed through Wolverine Access or the Registrar's Office.

Faculty/Staff - all name changes are first processed through the Human Resources Department.

These offices require proof of name change such as marriage certificate, legal documents, etc.

After the name change is processed through the appropriate office, the data will be transferred to the ID Card database generally in about 30 minutes.  Once the name change has appeared in the ID Card database, the cardholder can turn in their current Mcard for a new corrected Mcard.

Non-student/faculty/staff name changes can be processed at an ID Issuing Station with appropriate documentation (marriage certificate, divorce decree, new driver's license, or other legal documents).  A corrected Mcard may require a card fee.

Preferred Names are available to be printed on non-Michigan Medicine Mcards. Cardholders first select an appropriate preferred name through Wolverine Access.  Cardholders lacking access to Wolverine Access can seek additional information here. Dearborn and Flint students can go to their respective campus ID Issuing Stations to select an appropriate preferred name and have it printed on their Mcards.  Generally, visitors, contractors, Rec Sports sponsored users, and others who cannot have access to Wolverine Access are unable to participate in the preferred name feature at this time.

For additional information regarding preferred names and the Mcard Preferred Name Policy please click here.

Treasurer's Office - Mcard
What are Preferred Names?

The following is a 3-D email sent on 3/29/07 from Gloria Hage, Associate Vice President and Deputy General Counsel of the University, and Jeff Frumkin, Assistant Provost introducing Preferred Name...

We are pleased to inform you that the Provost's Office, HR/AA, and MAIS, on the Ann Arbor campus has led an effort to develop and implement a University-wide policy that will enable students, faculty, and staff to use a preferred name instead of their legal name in various University information systems. The legal name will continue to be used in business processes that require use of the legal name, such as for payroll records and student transcripts.

Many individuals on campus have expressed a desire to be known by a name different than their legal name, which is referred to as preferred name. Demand for use of a preferred name type across the University community has increased as individual information has expanded in databases and is more accessible via the Internet.

The Preferred Names implementation is being phased into use during 2007 and 2008.
1. Beginning April 25, 2007, students of the Ann Arbor campus and Faculty and Staff of the Ann Arbor, Dearborn, and Flint campuses can specify a preferred name of their choice through Wolverine Access. The first administrative system that will incorporate the preferred name is the U-M Online Directory (UMOD). Any preferred names added through Wolverine Access become available in the UMOD after each weekly UMOD update.
2. Later in 2007, preferred names will be used in the 2007-08 printed staff directory and individuals may request to have a preferred name on their Mcard.
3. June 2008 is the target date to have preferred names available for reporting from the M-Pathways Data Warehouse.
4. For future implementation, the Enterprise Directory will include preferred names for additional populations, such as alumni, contractors, and visitors. Enterprise Directory will also contain data for employees, students, alumni, emeritus faculty, and sponsored individuals.

The Provost's office recommends that business offices review the use of names for their internal business processes and reporting. Offices that retrieve name data from M-Pathways should develop plans to begin using preferred names as soon as is reasonable by the end of the next academic year.

The University recognizes that as a community many of its members use names other than their legal names to identify themselves. As long as the use of this different name is not for the purposes of misrepresentation, the University acknowledges that a 'preferred name' can and should be used wherever possible in the course of University business and education. Therefore, it is the policy of the University that any student, active or retired faculty or staff member, or alumni may choose to identify themselves within the University's information systems with a preferred name in addition to the person's legal name. It is further understood that the person's preferred name shall be used in all University communications and reporting except where the use of the legal name is required by University business or legal need.

The individual is free to determine the preferred name he or she wants to be known by in the University's information systems. However, inappropriate use of the preferred name policy (including but not limited to avoiding a legal obligation or misrepresentation) may be cause for denying the request.

Mcard Preferred Name Policy

Faculty, staff, retiree, student, and alumni cardholders may have an appropriate preferred name used on their Mcards.  Preferred names for faculty, staff, retirees, alumni, and Ann Arbor campus students populate the ID Card database from Wolverine Access and are not changed at an ID Issuing Station.

The UM Health System requires that the Mcard show an individual's legal name. The Health System Key/ID office located in room C150 Med Inn Building can provide an ID badge holder for individuals who wish to display an additional name along with the badge.  For more information on this option, contact the Health System Key/ID office at 763-6376.

Since Dearborn and Flint Students currently do not have access to Wolverine Access, they may have an appropriate preferred name entered manually into the ID Card database by the Dearborn and Flint ID Issuing Stations.

All other cardholders (contractors, visitors, etc.) may be able to have a preferred name subsequent to the implementation of the MCommunity Enterprise Directory.

Image removed. 

When a preferred name is used for an Mcard, it will be the default name printed on the front of the Mcard.  The legal name also will print on the reverse of the Mcard above the library bar code.

Faculty, staff, retirees, students, and alumni are able to have one and only one Mcard reproduced with their preferred name printed at no charge.  (Cardholders must turn in their current Mcard, otherwise pay the replacement fee.)  Additional requests for Mcards with new/different preferred names after the first free reproduction will be charged the Mcard replacement fee.

Inappropriate Preferred Names

Individuals with access to Wolverine Access have the ability to input any preferred name of their choice.  It is possible that an inappropriate preferred name could be selected and ID Issuing Staff may deny that name from being printed on an Mcard.  Inappropriate preferred names include but are not limited to those that avoid legal obligation, misrepresent, harass, threaten, or are otherwise objectionable.  In most cases, a preferred name should not be a message, company or group name, especially if it is for promotional purposes.

ID Issuing Station management have the authority to refuse the issuance of an Mcard in this situation

Individuals with preferred names deemed inappropriate can either:

  • obtain an Mcard with just their legal name.
  • change their preferred name on Wolverine Access and return later to an ID Issuing Station for their Mcard with revised appropriate preferred name.*

Cardholders also can appeal the decision of the ID Issuing Station staff to:

In this case, the Registrar’s Office or Human Resources will make the final decision.  These offices have the ultimate authority in determining the appropriateness of preferred names.  If the preferred name is deemed appropriate, the email response will inform the cardholder to print the email and turn it in to an ID Issuing Station.

* Only the Dearborn & Flint ID Issuing Station staff can manually change student preferred names in the ID Card database as requested by the students.

Additional Preferred Name information can be found at this web page link:


Questions regarding this policy should be directed to the:

Mcard Admin
Send us an email
734 763-1299

Treasurer's Office - Mcard
What if I do not like my photo on my Mcard?

If you do not like your photo on your Mcard, you may obtain a new photo and Mcard at an ID Issuing Station for a cost of $20.  Under certain circumstances, cardholders who have had major physical facial or head changes can turn in their old card for an updated Mcard.  Cardholders who change hair style or hair color, grow facial hair or remove it, begin to wear glasses or contacts, have minor plastic surgery, etc. do not qualify as having a major physical change and a $20 replacement would apply.  Final discretion is determined by the ID Issuing Station.

Generally students, faculty, and staff, who turn in their Mcards because it is expired or damaged from normal use; who have changed departments; or who have a name changes can request to have a new photo taken for the new Mcards.

Treasurer's Office - Mcard
Can I have more than one Mcard at a time?

According to the University's Standard Practice Guide 601.13, each member of the University is allowed only one identification card, the Mcard, at a time.  Cardholders are not allowed to have multiple valid Mcards, except in the case of the possession of an Alumni Mcard.  Cardholders cannot reproduce any part of their Mcard for purposes of having/wearing proper identification.

Cardholders who are students and employed at the University have the option to receive an Mcard with the department/organization name on the obverse and the word "Student" above the magnetic stripe on the reverse.  Faculty/staff who have multiple appointments must choose the most pertinent department name to print on the obverse of the Mcard.  A second department name cannot be printed on the Mcard.  If a cardholder has an affiliation change (i.e., staff changes departments), the cardholder must turn in their Mcard to obtain an updated card with their new affiliation.

Expired Mcards are not valid forms of University identification.  An expired Mcard can be taken to an ID Issuing Station for a replacement if there is still an active affiliation in the ID Card database.

All Mcards are property of the University and must be returned to an ID Issuing Station or cardholder's supervisor when cardholder's affiliation with the University has ended.

Treasurer's Office - Mcard
Can I lend my Mcard to someone else?

No, lending Mcards for any purpose is not permitted as per University SPG 601.13.  Should an Mcard be given to someone else for use and the Mcard becomes lost, it is the original cardholder's responsibility to pay for the replacement of the card.  There have been cases where borrowed Mcards were used for fraud and the original cardholders were held responsible.  It's just not a good idea no matter how trivial it may seem.

Treasurer's Office - Mcard
How can a department get Mcard photos for photo class rosters or seating charts?

Currently, the ability to obtain student Mcard photos for class rosters is available for the Ann Arbor campus instructors and support staff in Faculty Business in Wolverine Access.  The usage of student Mcard photos are governed by the Standard Practice Guide 601.13.  It is possible this functionality will be be expanded to the Dearborn and Flint Campuses in the future. 

For additional information see Mcard Photo Use Policy.

Are you a department/unit looking for Mcard photos for a department photo roster or other use not listed above?   Request the individuals to seek their own Mcard photo by sending an email request to using their U-M email account.  They will receive their Mcard photo for free.  You can then ask them for their photos.

If your department is seeking numerous Mcard photos, please email for details.


Treasurer's Office - Mcard
Are Students required to present their Mcard with their student season tickets?

The University of Michigan Athletic Department requires that all students with student season football tickets show their Mcards for entry into Michigan Stadium.  It is highly recommended that students who have lost their Mcards obtain a replacement Monday - Friday during normal business hours at an ID issuing station prior to the game. 


There are no ID stations open on game day Saturdays!  If an Mcard is lost on game day, a replacement card may be obtained at Crisler Center Northeast Box office 2 hours prior to kickoff until halftime for a $20 fee.


For additional information regarding the student ticket policy and procedures, see the U of M Athletics' Web site.

Treasurer's Office - Mcard
Is PNC Bank the only bank affiliated with the Mcard?

Yes.  Due to the technological requirements of the program, there is only one bank affiliated with the Mcard.  The University of Michigan selected PNC® Bank through a competitive bid process for its low or no-cost feature-rich bank account and the convenient services that they offer to the University community.

Treasurer's Office - Mcard
Do I need a local bank account?

It is highly recommended that people who come to the University from out of state obtain a local bank account.  ATM machine surcharges can get expensive if one doesn't have a local bank.  And, while most merchants accept out of state checks with proper identification, some do not.  Most people from out of town find it more convenient and cost effective to maintain a local checking or savings account to manage their money.

It is also recommended that direct deposit of wages from a job and/or financial aid be established with the local bank account.  Direct deposit provides the safety of an electronic deposit without the worries of a paper check lost in the mail and no hassles of waiting in a bank teller line.

Treasurer's Office - Mcard
Do residence halls cash checks for student?

No. For safety and security, residence halls do not cash checks. It is recommended that students, faculty, and staff use a local bank for check cashing services.

The University Cashier's Office does not cash personal checks.

Treasurer's Office - Mcard
How can I make my Mcard an ATM/debit card?

The Mcard can be made an ATM/debit card only by linking it to PNC® Bank bank account.  You will be able to choose your own security 4-digit PIN (Personal Identification Number) to use at ATMs and when making debit purchases.  Visit this website for additional info.

Treasurer's Office - Mcard
Where can I get more Mcard information?

Mcard Center       Map

Room 1011 Student Activities Building
Hours: Monday - Friday 8 AM - 5 PM 
(734) 93-Mcard (936-2273)
Send us an email

Mailing address:

U-M Mcard Center
1011 Student Activities Building
515 E. Jefferson St.
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1316

Treasurer's Office - Mcard

Treasurer's Office - Merchant Services

I have new or terminating staff. How do I authorize or remove merchant user authorization?

The merchant contact should have the MPathways FINPROD access to update merchant authorized users.


Please see pages 3 & 4 of the link below for further details on how to make changes to authorized users.

The Treasurer's Office no longer requires to be notified of these authorized user changes.


Note: If your department/unit also processes deposits (with deposit tickets), these authorized users may also need to be updated in MPathways  FINPROD.  See page 1 & 2 of the above linked document.

Treasurer's Office - Merchant Services
How do I change a merchant contact?

Complete the Merchant Change form, include the 9 digit merchant number, merchant name, physical signature and any other changes.  Please attach to an email (preferred method), fax, or mail to the Treasurer's Office - Merchant Services.

Treasurer's Office - Merchant Services
What are the first steps in becoming a Credit Card Merchant?

If accepting credit cards in person, the first steps are to complete the Merchant Services Policy document and the Merchant Registration Form.  Attached completed forms in an email to 

Also can forward them via campus email, mail, fax to the Treasurer's Office - Merchant Services, 10090 Wolverine Tower 3003 S State St Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1283

Fax: 734 763-2201



Departments/units who wish to accept credit cards through their a web site or computer software must first schedule a meeting with Matt Deseck (734 615-2103) or Dave Doyle (734 647-7440) in the Treasurer’s Office.  If appropriate, the unit would then complete this Merchant Internet Registration Form instead of the regular Merchant Registration Form.

Treasurer's Office - Merchant Services
Do I have to do anything different to process Web based transactions (e-commerce)?

Yes, you need to schedule a meeting by sending an email to in the Treasurer’s Office first before completing any Merchant Registration forms. The Treasurer’s Office needs to verify that the third party gateway provider that you selected for Web based transactions is PCI compliant and is compatible with U-M's processor.

Treasurer's Office - Merchant Services
What do you mean by PCI compliant?

Visa, Mastercard, Amex and Discover collaborated to create common industry security requirements that each Merchant must comply with.  These requirements are referred to in the Payment Card Industry as the PCI Data Security Standard (PCI DSS).  The standard applies to all payment methods, including retail (brick and mortar), mail/telephone order, and e-commerce. 

And, the standard is also applicable to non-university entities that are using the University systems to process transactions.  The PCI Data Security Standard offers a single approach to safeguarding sensitive data for all card brands (including American Express, Discover and JCB). 

All U-M merchants must abid by the PCI DSS compliance which includes annually completing the MyLINC TME102 Merchant Certification and PCI Self-Assessment Questionnaire (SAQ) on the TrustKeeper website.

Treasurer's Office - Merchant Services
How long does the process take to get my merchant number and my equipment?

It usually takes between 2-3 weeks to get your merchant account and credit card terminal, if applicable.  

U-M's credit card processing bank, Worldpay, can expedite merchant account opening to about a one week for a $100 fee.  Contact for additional info.

Treasurer's Office - Merchant Services
If I have problems with my Worldpay credit card terminal, what should I do?

You should contact the Treasurer’s Office at or 734 615-6123 and tell them what problems you are experiencing. Treasury will attempt to assess the problem and if necessary order you a new credit card terminal. There is a reduced charge for replacement terminals ordered through Treasury instead of the Worldpay support center!

Treasurer's Office - Merchant Services
How will my credit card revenue and fees be reported?

You will receive a monthly statement from the Merchant Acquirer Bank (Worldpay) detailing your sales and your fees. Also, all Worldpay merchants are set up with an automatic feed into the University’s General Ledger. Merchant sales and most fees will be posted to the chartfields that were provided on the Merchant Registration Form sent to Treasury and will appear on your U-M Statement of Activity.

Treasurer's Office - Merchant Services
What if there is a discrepancy on my Statement of Activity?

Merchants will need to contact Shared Services Center - SOA Reconciliation at 734-615-2000 #3 or for assistance.


Treasurer's Office - Merchant Services
What if I want to change my chartfields for either sales or fees?

You need to complete a Change/Termination Form and submit it to the Treasurer’s Office.  Before we process a change, Treasury is obligated to seek approval from the UM Shared Services Center.

Treasurer's Office - Merchant Services
Do I have to batch out my merchant terminal every day?

Yes, you must complete batch processing of all sales receipts at the end of each business day. 

In some cases processing credit cards online or through software, batching is automatically done.  However, one must verify sales receipts each business day.

Treasurer's Office - Merchant Services
What is a Chargeback?

If a customer disputes a credit card sales transaction within 18 months with the credit card issuer, the Merchant will receive paperwork requiring them to respond within a specific period of time.  If a chargeback is awarded to the card holder, the merchant will be debited for the credit card transaction amount.


Treasurer's Office - Merchant Services
What do I do if I get a Chargeback notice from one of the Credit Card Associations?

You must respond within the timeframe specified on the notification with proof of cardholder authorization for that transaction. Otherwise, the customer will be issued a credit on their card and you will be debited the disputed amount.

Treasurer's Office - Merchant Services
Can a person process a sales transaction and a credit for that transaction (e.g. returned merchandise or service cancellation)?

No, the person who processes the sale cannot process the return without the documented approval of designated individual in section 7 of the Merchant Services Policy document to authorize credit refunds. Supervisory approval of all credit refunds is required. A common form of fraud is for an employee to process credits to their own personal credit card(s).

Treasurer's Office - Merchant Services
Should a Merchant provide a cash refund for returned merchandise that was originally purchased with a credit card?

No. The card associations do not normally permit cash refunds for any credit card transactions. The only exception to this rule is if the purchase was made with a prepaid card (e.g. Visa or Mastercard gift card) and the cardholder is returning items, but has discarded this card, you may give a cash refund, have a check issued through U-M Accounts Payable or in-store credit.

Treasurer's Office - Merchant Services
What are the rules for processing credit refunds for returned merchandise?

A Merchant shall not process a credit transaction without having completed a previous purchase transaction with the same cardholder and the same credit cardThe only exceptions to this rule is:

1. if the purchase was made with a prepaid card (e.g. Visa or Mastercard gift card) and the cardholder is returning items, but has discarded this card, you may give a cash refund, have a check issued through U-M Accounts Payable or in-store credit.

2. if the original transaction was processed on a Worldpay credit card terminal and the cardholder has lost the original credit card.  A credit up to the original purchase amount may be refunded to a new credit card in the same person's name.

In all cases, credits/refunds must be approved/documented by a designated approver (listed on the merchant policy document).


Treasurer's Office - Merchant Services
As a Merchant, what should I do if I suspect that my credit card operation has experienced a breach?

FIRST:  Notify immediately and provide full details of the situation.  The Treasurer's Office will respond with any further steps required.


Also as reference the Standard Practice Guide 601.25 outlines the regular incident reporting policy for all University units.  Note: Wait for a response from Treasury.

Treasurer's Office - Merchant Services
How long do I need to keep my credit card receipts?

A merchant is required to retain legible copies of credit card receipts for up to 18 months in order to satisfy any disputes/chargebacks. These receipts should be kept in a locked file cabinet or safe. After the 18 month period has expired, the credit card receipts should be shredded in order to protect cardholder information (refer to PCI DSS Requirement 9.1).

Treasurer's Office - Merchant Services
What is the required retention period for other University business and financial documents (excluding credit card receipts)?

Please refer to SPG 604.01 as the required retention period is dependent upon the source of funds supporting the activity (e.g. sponsored programs retention period is different from non-sponsored programs).

Treasurer's Office - Merchant Services
Why are internal controls important and where can I find more information about them?

Internal controls provide important benefits to your department and to the University as a whole by improving the quality of accounting information, and it reduces the possibility of mismanagement, error and fraud. Segregation of duties is the cornerstone of internal control. It is a coordinated system of checks and balances in which tasks necessary to complete a transaction either are performed by different individuals, two or more individuals working in tandem, or the tasks are independently reviewed. No one individual should control all aspects of processing a credit card transaction or refund (i.e., reviewing daily batches, reconciling the Statement of Activity and Monthly Merchant Statement from Vantiv).

For further information on internal controls, please see:

SPG 500.1 Fiscal Responsibilities 

U-M Internal Controls Department

University Audits

Treasurer's Office - Merchant Services

Treasurer's Office - Treasury Services - Funds Movement

I need to send a payment to a foreign country in a foreign currency, is that possible?

Yes, complete the wire transfer form and indicate that it is foreign payment, the foreign currency required and the SWIFT for the beneficiary bank.  See Electronic Vendor Payment step-by-step procedure

Treasurer's Office - Treasury Services - Funds Movement
How do I send a wire payment to a vendor?
Treasurer's Office - Treasury Services - Funds Movement
How soon will the wire be sent?

In most cases, approved wires will be sent within 10 business days.

Treasurer's Office - Treasury Services - Funds Movement
What is the difference between a wire and an ACH?

A wire is a real-time method of transferring immediate funds and supporting information between two financial institutions and is relatively expensive to use. An ACH is similar to a wire transfer only it uses a batch-process. Transactions received by the bank are processed in batches and funds are not available in the beneficiary account until the next business day. ACH transfers are less expensive than wire transfers.

Treasurer's Office - Treasury Services - Funds Movement
What is an ABA or a Transit Routing Number?

This 9-digit number is used by the banking system to route a check or electronic payment to the drawee or beneficiary bank.

Treasurer's Office - Treasury Services - Funds Movement
What is a SWIFT code?

The Society for Worldwide Interbank Financial Telecommunications (S.W.I.F.T) is the major international interbank telecommunications network that transmits international payment instructions. A SWIFT code identifies a specific financial institution within the SWIFT network.

Treasurer's Office - Treasury Services - Funds Movement
I have someone who will send electronic funds to the University, what do I do?

The following information will be needed to ensure proper recording of your deposit, which is done by Shared Services Center - Accounts Receivable: * Chartfield(s) to which the funds should be applied; * Amount of funds being sent; * Estimated date of funds transfer; * Sender’s name and any other pertinent information that may help us route the funds to the appropriate destination, such as student ID, vendor ID, etc. The bank account that will receive the wire transfer is dependent upon the type of transaction being deposited. Please contact the Treasurer’s Office for further direction on the details necessary to complete the transfer.

Treasurer's Office - Treasury Services - Funds Movement
I need to open a new bank account, what do I do?

A valid business reason is needed to open any new account. Contact the Treasurer’s Office at 734 763-1299 or

Treasurer's Office - Treasury Services - Funds Movement

Treasurer's Office - Treasury Services - Supplier Check Writing

When are payment cycles run and how are checks disbursed?

Check and ACH payment cycles are run on a daily basis, with the exception of University of Michigan holidays and Federal Reserve Bank holidays. Checkwriting is also closed for the winter season days, which usually run from December 26th through the 31st. Checks are sent out in the U.S. mail the day they are written and ACH payment files are also submitted to JP Morgan Chase Bank daily. ACH payments may take an additional day to appear in a bank account.

Treasurer's Office - Treasury Services - Supplier Check Writing
Who do I call to see if a check has been issued?

Contact Accounts Payable Customer Service Desk in the Shared Services Center (734) 615-2000.

Treasurer's Office - Treasury Services - Supplier Check Writing
Are payments to foreign countries sent airmail?

Yes, checks going to foreign countries are sent out airmail. Checks to Canada and Mexico are metered at the correct postal rate for these countries.

Treasurer's Office - Treasury Services - Supplier Check Writing
Can I pick my check up directly from Checkwriting and not have to wait for it to be mailed?

No, the only official distribution used for checks is the U.S. Postal Service.

Treasurer's Office - Treasury Services - Supplier Check Writing
How long does it take for the Post Office to deliver a check?

We have no affiliation with the U.S. Post Office and do not know what their work schedule or workload might be at any given time.

Treasurer's Office - Treasury Services - Supplier Check Writing
I can’t wait for a voucher to go through the system. Can I have a check manually typed for me on demand?

No, vendor checks must be processed with the available Accounts Payable internal controls.

Treasurer's Office - Treasury Services - Supplier Check Writing
How do I get a supplier number created or supplier information changed?

Supplier Maintenance takes care of all supplier related needs and issues.  Any questions related to vouchers, their creation or payment, as well as supplier information and numbers should be directed to Accounts Payable, the Accounts Payable Customer Service Desk in the Shared Services Center (734) 615-2000.

Treasurer's Office - Treasury Services - Supplier Check Writing
How long does it take for a P.O./Non P.O. voucher to go through the system and be paid?

The Checkwriting area in the Treasurer's Office has no control or part in the processing of either type of voucher. Any questions related to vouchers, their creation or payment, as well as supplier information and numbers should be directed to Accounts Payable, the Accounts Payable Customer Service Desk in the Shared Services Center (734) 615-2000.

Treasurer's Office - Treasury Services - Supplier Check Writing