Medical Professional Liability

Medical Professional Liability

What is insured?

We are insured for defense costs and payment of claims for all amounts the university is legally obligated to pay as a result of injury or damage arising out of the treatment of patients. Insurance coverage extends to employees, students, volunteers and others while acting within the scope of their duties for the university.

What do I do if I have a claim?

  • Physicians, nurses and other health care professionals must report incidents to the Office of Clinical Safety for investigation.
    Office of Clinical Safety
    1500 East Medical Center Drive
    Room UH2B228
    Ann Arbor, MI 48109
    Phone: 734-936-4330
    Toll Free: 877-285-7788
  • All calls from outside agencies or persons concerning malpractice insurance or incidents should be forwarded to the Office of Clinical Safety for handling.
  • A patient, or member of a patient's family, should be referred to the Office of Clinical Safety if they express a concern regarding their treatment.
  • If a lawsuit is received, it must be immediately submitted to the Health Systems Legal Office.
    300 North Ingalls Building
    Ann Arbor, MI 48109-5476
    Phone: 734-764-2178

Is there a deductible?

No deductible is charged for coverage of each occurrence.

Other Information

Certificates of Insurance
Medical Professional Liability (non-university locations) requires prior written approval of the director or department chair.

To obtain evidence of insurance, a written request and a copy of the contract, if applicable, must be sent to Risk Management Services. The information required is:

  • To whom the certificate is to be issued.
  • A description of the activity for which the certificate is needed, including purpose, location and time period.
  • The type of insurance for which proof is required.