There are a variety of reports available to department administration to assist in fiscal responsibilities. In addition to standard reports designed and distributed by central finance, ad-hoc reporting tools allow authorized faculty & staff members to gather and analyze financial information in a variety of ways.
U-M Data Warehouse
The U-M Data Warehouse includes data sets that contain reformatted data from both historical and current systems. The data is from M-Pathways systems, from legacy systems that preceded M-Pathways, and from the Development/Alumni Constituency System. The U-M Data Warehouse, which is accessible on the Web through Wolverine Access, provides read-only data that supports two types of reporting:
- Ad hoc querying and analysis conducted by users who want to construct their own reports.
- Predefined reports, which are written to meet specific needs and saved for repeated use, as is or with modifications.
BusinessObjects is the supported query and reporting tool used to access the U-M Data Warehouse. It can be used to access central predefined queries as well as to create ad hoc reports. For more information on using BusinessObjects to access and retrieve department level reports, visit the ITS website's BusinessObjects Overview webpage.
Online Transaction Processing System (OLTP)
OLTP databases, where all data entry is performed, are also known as the "production" or "operational" databases. They include:
- FINPROD: M-Pathways Financial and Physical Resources systems. All financial and physical resources data entry and processing occurs in FINPROD, accessible on the Web through Wolverine Access.
- HEPROD: M-Pathways Human Resource Management and Student Administration systems. "HE" stands for Higher Education. All human resource, payroll, and student data entry and processing occurs in HEPROD, accessible on the Web through Wolverine Access.
M-Reports is a web-based reporting system which delivers interactive management reports and allows for guided analysis of data. The M-Reports system has a custimazable user interface with easy-to-use links to drill down to associated detail. Current content includes payroll and sponsored programs financial reporting. M-Reports is accessible via Wolverine Access (http://wolverineaccess.umich.edu/reporting_secondary.jsp). The navigation path is: University Business > Reporting > M-Reports.
- Getting Started with Data Reporting (ITS website)
- Data Road Map (ITS website)
- BusinessObjects Overview (ITS website)
- BusinessObjects Courses and Resources (ITS website)
- BusinessObjects Webinars (IT4U) -- recordings available on demand
- Overview of M-Reports (BI website)
- Demo of M-Reports for Sponsored Programs
- Creating New/Ad Hoc Reports From the U-M Data Warehouse (ITS website)
- Financial Data Sets for Ad Hoc Reporting (ITS website)
- How to Request Access (ITS website)
- Alternatives to Printed SOA Reports